Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2024 09:04:49 GMT by Chrono73
For HMRC, I am a NRL (Non-resident landlord) my only income is from a property that I have put out on rent in 2024/5 (current tax year.) However, from November I will stop receiving rental income from this. I will still carry out a self assessment for the income gained in the few months I received rental income. I believe this will take me slightly over the personal allowance threshold. 1. Do I tell HMRC in November that I am no longer getting income from this and request to freeze / de register self assessment in November or do I leave it and pay any applicable tax as normal when completing a self assessment and then de-register? 2. If the above is incorrect. How and when do I de-register for self assessment tax?
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2024 10:53:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Chrono73,
You will need to wait until after April 2025 as you need to submit a tax return to show the income received in the tax year.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2024 14:53:42 GMT by Chrono73
Hi, noted thank you. When it comes to the time where I do unregister, how do I do this / notify HMRC. Is there a link I follow?
Posted Wed, 03 Jul 2024 09:51:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Chrono73,
You can confirm that you no longer need Self Assessment by webchat, online form, phone or post.
Find out more here - Self Assessment tax returns.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.