Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 19 Jan 2024 10:36:20 GMT by
Hi, I hope someone is able to help. I have had a pay rise this year (23-24) which means my new salary is £56,000. Currently we receive child benefit for 3 children. I am a teacher and pay into the Teacher's pension service through the school I work at. The pension is subject to tax relief. The amount I contribute is £470 (x12 = £5640 per year) each month into the pension. My question is, completing the self assessment, do I give the gross figure of £56,000, or do I subtract the annual pensions contribution of £5640 and give an adjusted figure of £50,360? Thank you
Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 08:49:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi niasghar,
You would enter the gross figure of £56,000 in your employment income, then the amount paid in contributions (£5640) in the box titled 'payments to registered pension schemes (also known as PPR) where basic-rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider'. You can find this box on the Paying into Registered Pension Schemes page of your return.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.