Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 07 Nov 2023 17:38:21 GMT by
At the end of September I received a Chargeable Event Gain certificate on surrendering a life policy. Having not had one before I researched on line what I needed to do - which is complete a Self Assessment. As I have not done this before applied for a UTR which I have not received. I also noted that I should have notified HMRC that I needed to do a Self Assessment by 5th October but I missed this deadline as I was still working out what I needed to do at this stage. When will I receive a UTR so that I can get my Self Assessment under way? And will I be penalised for missing the 5th October deadline? As a new user of this system it seems to be extraordinarily complicated.
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 09:07:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Frances Shuttlewood,
If you submtited your registration online the current timescale to allocate the UTR is 3-4 weeks.
If this timescale has passed you will need to contact HMRC to check on the progress.
Self Assessment: general enquiries.
When we issue the notice to file the 2022/23 Self Assessment as issued late you will get 3 months and a week to file the tax return before late filng penalties apply. 
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2023 18:59:31 GMT by
It would seem that completing an SA1 does not generate a UTR. Both my husband and I completed an SA1 and neither of us have received or been allocated a UTR.
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2023 06:46:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Frances Shuttlewood,
You should get confirmation of your UTR in about 3 weeks from your SA submission, unless we need further information. in which case you will be contacted.
If you don't have your UTR after 3 weeks, please contact us at:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.