Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2023 15:21:27 GMT by Janat Eugene
I received a simple assessment tax calculation letter for the tax year 2021-2022 dated 12 October 2022. This letter stated that I owe £1516.40 for the tax year 2021-2022 and that I needed to pay this outstanding tax by the 31st of January 2023. I paid the exact amount of £1516.40 online on the 11th of January 2023. My January bank statement showed that this was paid to HMRC ETMP Glasgow. I then received another simple assessment Tax calculation for 2021-2022 (same tax year as the last letter) dated 30th January 2023. This letter stated that the total tax payable was £0.00 and that the tax I have already paid was also £0.00. I was then asked to complete a self-assessment tax return for the year 6th April 2021 - 5th April 2022. I completed this a few days past the deadline as I had been grieving my mother's death and paid a £100 penalty for this. Once I completed the self-assessment tax return form, I received another letter saying I have to pay £1362.07. I contacted HMRC on the phone number 0300 200 3823 and they told me to try the online webchat. I have done the webchat already several times and it has not given me an answer or option for my concern. I believe that I have already paid the tax amount due for my work. If there is any tax outstanding, it would only be from the high-income child benefit charge for the tax year 2021-2022. This would not amount to £1362.07. I hope this can be resolved quickly as I have been attempting to contact HMRC since May and it has been causing me a lot of distress.
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 13:22:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
It would appear that the tax year 2021/2022 has been reviewed both by the PAYE service and self assessment service.  
Your self assessment tax return will take precidence over the PAYE calculation.  
You will need to contact our webchat team to review this matter and have the PAYE calculation withdrawnd.  
The payment sent to the ETMP refernce can be transferred to your self assessment record.  
You can log into our webchat service at:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
You will need to appeal the late filing penalty in writing.  
Please complete form SA370 at:
Self Assessment: appeal against penalties for late filing and late payment, stating your ground for appealing.
Thank you.
Posted Sat, 15 Jul 2023 21:42:39 GMT by Janat Eugene
Hello, I have attempted to use the webchat several times before and even now I have tried it again. I have put in different words and phrases connecting to this matter, however, it keeps giving me the wrong response and then saying end chat. This is very frustrating and I really hope you can help me. Is there any way to write a letter to someone concerning this matter? What is the address that I can write about this to? Many thanks, Janat Eugene
Posted Fri, 21 Jul 2023 11:13:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

When you click 'Ask HMRC online' if you say speak to an adviser everytime the robot asks you a question you will be transfered to an adviser.
If you wish to write to us the address is shown here Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.