Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2024 11:11:31 GMT by oldwelshman1961
1) Why is it not allowed for non residents to do online SA? 2) It says on site I have to call to order SA100 although I can download SA105 and SA109, why not SA100? There is a ref form which looks identical. 3) It states I have to call to order one, now this has to be a joke? It is practically impossible to speak with anyone as I have spent over 3 hours on international calls going round in circles, then eventually either getting cut off saying we cannot help you, or wait 30 mins then it says " there is a technical fault" and call drops. 3) I was previously fined due to not even receiving the documents as mail in Thailand is non existent and unless it is registered mail I will not get the forms and HMRC refuse to send registered so maybe someone can explain how I can get the form? 4) All of this is required just because I rent a property out, the income is below the tax allowance so the only tax I owe is for late penalty payments !!! This is a headache as it is impossible to actually speak to anyone.
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:31:01 GMT by Grumpyexpat
I have the identical issue as described above - multiple attempts for more than an hour on international calls, only to get thwarted (or have to move on to other matters). It does seem like we should be able to file from abroad, but if that really isn't possible, then at least put a resource on international calls or expat email answered for non-resident filers (easy to distinguish). I see MP Ruth Jones asked this in Parliament recently - but the answer was vague. Certainly I've paid more money in fines than taxes due.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 08:38:12 GMT by oldwelshman1961
I also raised a formal complaint which is supposed to be replied to within 15 days. Still waiting for response.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 09:40:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi oldwelshman1961,
1. You can file online if you use 3rd party software
2.The SA100 is now available to download - it will show as reference only but you can stil use this
3. You can contact us here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Select the digitial option
4. We cannot comment on foreign postal delays.
5. As a non resident landlord you are required to complete a tax return irrespective of the level of rental income received.
Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.