Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2024 21:25:18 GMT by Angie
Hi I am from Portugal and before I came to the UK in 2015 I had a saving account for retirement in Portugal. I am now going to transfer some of the money to a UK bank account and I realised I never did the Self Assessment tax return regarding the interest gain. Can you please give me guidance on what should I do in this situation, Can I do the Self Assessment tax return this year with all the interest gain since I am in the UK? Do I need to do he Self Assessment tax return every year even if I don't transfer the money to the UK? Since is not a UK bank account and the interest gain is less than £2000 untaxed, can it be entered on SA100? Thank you very much for you help. Kind Regards Angie
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:42:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Any foreign bank interest should be declared in a Self Assessment Tax Return each year, regardless of the amount or even if no tax is payable on the interest.  

Unfortunately, you cannot lump the last 8 or 9 years interest together and declare it in one tax return.  

Please have a look at the guidance for the world-wide disclosure facility below, for your next course of action.

Make a disclosure using the Worldwide Disclosure Facility

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2024 11:16:14 GMT by Angie
Hi Thanks for your help. I never sent a tax return before , therefore can I register for Self Assessment now to declare this income that I earn from the last 4 years? And then just do a disclosure to the previous years? Thank you. Kind Regards Angela 
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:26:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Angie

No. a tax return is for that particlar year only and if you need to declare income from previous years also then you need one for each year

Thank you


You must be signed in to post in this forum.