Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 14 Jan 2024 10:36:18 GMT by
Hi HMRC Admin I am both UK and other country tax resident I checked the tie-breaker rule in my applicable DTA, and I consider myself as resident of the other country for the purpose of the DTA. How should I fill in my tax return? Do I just complete from the angle that I am 'non UK resident'? Thanks! Best wishes, 

Name removed admin . 
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:56:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

Your tax return would the need to include the residence section (SA109), to declare that you are not UK resident and claim personal allowances.  
You would also be required to declare all of the income and capital gains arising in the UK in the tax return.  Please note that you cannot use the HMRC tax return to submit the residence section.  
If you have a government gateway user ID and password, you can buy a commercial tax return that includes residence and submit that version.  A list of commercial tax return providers can be found at Self Assessment commercial software suppliers
If this method is not possible, you will need to submit a paper tax return, which can be downloaded at Self Assessment tax return forms.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.