Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 10:58:32 GMT by manwithguitar
Hi, My Son has moved from Canada down to the USA. He was a resident of Canada, but since last June, the residency is no longer. For his time in Canada he paid Canada taxes through their system. All his earnings for the past year(and longer) have been in the USA where he now pays tax on the earnings. He has a working visa for the USA. I have phoned an accountant and was told he would not have do a self assessment but notify the HMRC that he should no longer do self assessments? Does he still do a self assessment, and put in additional notes his working situation with the relevant USA IRS number? I have tried phoning the HMRC for clarification but on numerous occasions after 1 hour, have been cut off which is pretty frustrating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Many thanks.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 14:43:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi manwithguitar,
Based on your comments he has not been UK resident for some time and as such the income from US/Canada should not be reported here and no return is required.
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 15:02:39 GMT by manwithguitar
Hi HMRC Admin 25, many thanks for your reply, really appreciated. One more question, do we now have to notify HMRC that he does not need top do the assessment and if so, what form do we fill in for this? Many apologies for what may seem a silly question. Many thanks,
Posted Thu, 05 Sep 2024 13:55:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 13 Response
Hi 
If your son has not already done so, guidance on notifying HMRC when leave the UK to live abroad can be found here: Tax if you leave the UK to live abroad
Guidance on telling HMRC that you believe you no longer need to send a tax return can be found here: Self Assessment tax returns: If you no longer need to send a tax return
Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.