Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 19 Jul 2023 19:57:35 GMT by CoffeeAndCats
Hello, I'm currently self-employed as an online Tutor whilst studying at university. I earn around £1500 a year so I already submit a self-assessment tax return. However, in my spare time, I also complete online paid surveys, studies, and user interviews on various different websites for extra cash. This comes to around an extra £50-£100 a month combined. All of this money is sent to my PayPal, which I then transfer to my bank account. As I understand, this also falls under the category of being self-employed so I will need to report these additional earnings in my tax return. My questions are: 1) Because I am already self-employed as a tutor, and earn over £1000, I assume I have already used up the trading allowance and cannot apply it to my survey/study/interview earnings? 2) Can I group all the websites together under one self-employment business and call it 'Surveys and Interviews', or do I need to list each individual website as a separate self-employed business? There are about 5 websites I use (some websites I earn £0 in a given month, others I just earn around £10 a month, so it seems tedious to list them all separately when a given site may only generate £50 for me across the whole tax year). Many thanks
Posted Thu, 27 Jul 2023 06:02:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi CoffeeAndCats,
The total value of Trading Income Allowance for all self employments cannot exceed £1000.
You can lump all of the website income into one self employment and call it 'Surveys and Interviews' as you mention.
You would complete two SA103S, one for each business or select 2 self employments if doing your return online.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 27 Jul 2023 07:38:07 GMT by CoffeeAndCats
Hi, Thank you for your reply. After doing some research, I've actually ended up putting the income from paid surveys/studies/interviews under 'miscellaneous income' as I figured it probably would fit better there than as a self-employment. Is that okay? Many thanks.
Posted Thu, 03 Aug 2023 08:17:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi CoffeeAndCats,

If the income from paid surveys/studies/interviews is more than £1000.00, it should be shown on SA103, as national insurance contributions may be due.

Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.