Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 26 Jul 2023 11:20:15 GMT by mkn
Hi, I conduct full-time consultancy / freelance work (so not employee) from the UK for foreign organisations. I typically get paid in a foreign currency. Do I declare this in my self assessment tax form as normal UK self employed amounts (using HMRC foreign exchange rates) or do I declare it as foreign income? Many thanks, 
Posted Wed, 02 Aug 2023 18:12:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi mkn,

You will show it only as self employed income if no foreign tax has been deducted.
If foreign tax has been deducted, you will show it on the foreign page also and claim foreign tax credit relief (this doesnt double up the income).

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.