Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 25 Sep 2023 07:55:01 GMT by Thanos
Dear all, I moved to another European country a couple of years ago and since I receive UK income through property, I'm trying to do the tax return for '22/'23. For the year '21/'22, a tax agency did my return, but I prefer to do it myself this year. When I try to complete the form, under the filed 'taxpayer residence status', I only get the options English and NI/Welsh/Scottish. My address already shows up as abroad in the form. Is there a way to change the taxpayer status? Or should it rather stay as is and 'tax residency' is for the purposes of the UK-generated income only? Thank you!
Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 14:11:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

As you are no longer resident in the UK, you cannot file the tax return online using HMRC software as you need to complete the residence section. You will need to buy third party software or file a paper return. You can see information here:

Self Assessment commercial software suppliers

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.