Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2024 10:35:30 GMT by Ieatcottagepies
I am now working abroad and would like to consult the advice of HMRC regarding whether I need to mail a self-assessment report to HMRC during my overseas period of stay: I am working full-time overseas for 1 year and 8 months. I am planning to finish my job in March 2025 and return in May 2025. I left the UK in July 2023, so I am a UK resident in 2023/24 under the automatic test For the 2023/4 tax year, I would like to apply for split-year treatment. I have filled in the P85 form, however, there is no reply regarding whether my status will be subject to split-year treatment yet. I mentioned in the form that I would visit the UK for 15 days. However, due to various circumstances, I had not been able to make this trip last year. Following the above, if I am still required to do a self-assessment or any form of tax report for the financial year 2023/4, should I mail my report to HMRC before the deadline around October 2024? For the 2024/5 tax year, I have no interest in visiting the UK for more than 15 days, which means I am not a UK tax resident this financial year. Do I need to submit a self-assessment form for the financial year 2024/5, after returning to the UK in May 2025? I have interest income from the UK banking system, which includes ISA (2 Years, 20K) and fixed bond (2 Years, 24K), with an interest of a sum of 4400 GBP approximately, after two years of investment. This would be the only UK income during this period when I work overseas. Also, I remember that if the interest income is not more than 10,000 GBP, no self-assessment report would be required. I only have two income sources, overseas salary and UK interest. Also, there was a part-time job before leaving the UK between April 2023 and June 2023, which has been reported and taxed by my former employer. The amount of salary received for the part-time job was less than 500 GBP. My understanding regarding my follow-up actions for the taxation report is that: If the splits year treatment is approved, then the first 8.5 months of overseas income (July 2023 - March 2024) are not taxable, so my understanding is that I do not need to fill in the self-assessment form. Or should I send my salary invoice copies to the HMRC before the deadline for the 2023-24 financial year self-assessment? The full second-year overseas income is not taxable, hence I do not have to fill in the assessment form In summary, should I fill in a self-assessment form anyway and provide additional information regarding my overseas income, to let HMRC technicians decide if the income in the 2023-4 and the 2024-5 financial years are taxable?
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 15:17:42 GMT by Ieatcottagepies
Are there any updates? I am a bit concerned because the overseas self-assessment report is required to be mailed and not uploaded via the HMRC Gateway online account... Thank you for your help in advance!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.