Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 14:38:08 GMT by
Dear all With apologies in advance if my question is rather rudimentary, however I have hit a road block in my self assessment form. My pension contribution for the year was circa 10k in excess of the annual allowance (i.e. roughly 50k). In the past 3 years however I did not use my full allowance and thus the unused allowances for these past 3 years were rolled over (contributions were roughly 25k for each past year - thus 15k being rolled over each year). Having used the HMRC annual allowance calculator it appears no tax is due. When it comes to completing the self-assessment form, how do I declare it - if at all? In the following question do I put "0" on the basis that the "Annual Allowance" includes any unused allowances that have been rolled over? "Amount saved towards your pension, in the period covered by this return, in excess of the Annual Allowance:" What confuses me is the declaration of all of the above (as my pension providers letter seems to indicate that I must tell HMRC). Many thanks in advance for any assistance
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 18:02:23 GMT by
I had the same issue the previous year. My pension provider told me that as the previous 3 years allowance was enough to cover the overpayment in the current year I didn't need to declare this on my tax return as I didn't owe any tax. I am not a tax expert so hopefully, someone from HMRC will be able to confirm this for you.
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 23:06:39 GMT by maxb
When I filled in my 2021-22 return, in similar circumstances, I left the "Amount saved towards your pension, in the period covered by this return, in excess of the Annual Allowance:" box empty, and documented my working regarding having Annual Allowance to roll over in the main "any other information" box. I am not sure whether I needed to do that, but at least that way I had evidence of having considered this if I needed it. This seems to have been acceptable, as I was never contacted about that return.
Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 15:53:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Theodore,
As your revised pension threshold that includes the carried forward surplus, exceeds your pension payment, there is nothing to declare on the tax return.  
It is only where your pension payment exceeded the increased threshold, that the amount above the revised threshold is reported in the tax return.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:50:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi maxb,
You only need to show if you have exceeded the annual allowance and if a tax charge is due.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.