Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2024 11:07:46 GMT by jordanameliacarroll
Hi, This is causing me an insane amounts of stress at this point. The first and second time was bad enough but after last being told I would definitely not be receiving anymore letters to do with this and an apology, I believed it was all sorted. I am at my wits end. Getting through to speak to anyone about this is torture which just makes the entire situation even more stressful and I already suffer with anxiety, which I have explained several times to the advisors any time I've spoken to them. Previous two times I was told I had been late submitting a self assessment tax return - so I owed a lot of money. I have never in my life done a self assessment return, I didn't even know what one was before getting the first letter. After sorting it the first time I realised it was something to do with being self employed. I work full time in my job and have worked for this company for years. The last advisor I spoke to was incredibly apologetic for the stress and promised me (!) that this would not happen again and I didn't need to worry. Yet this morning I've received a letter dated 19th June 2024 stating they haven't received the £521.80 I supposedly owe... is this just going to go on and on for years? Because I really cannot cope or deal with that type of stress to be honest. I do not know what to do at this point. I get put on hold for hours and cut off my calls and the online chats either send me around in circles or disconnect. So how exactly am I supposed to sort this out quickly? Not sure what more I can do.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2024 10:27:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi jordanameliacarroll,
I'm sorry for any stress this issue may have caused you. It's most likely that the amount requested is an amount that was becoming due when your Self Assessment record was closed, and our system may have missed in cancelling.
To review this for you, you can contact us by webchat via Self Assessment: general enquiries - just click 'ask HMRC online' and ask to speak to an advisor.
If you would like to make a complaint about your experience, search for: Complain about HMRC
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.