Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 08 Jul 2023 09:41:54 GMT by Sixto Olson
I sold some shares recently which I had in my home country. Over 15 years they have generated a lot of small transactions (costs , dividends, stock dividends). Having to calculate all this applying FX conversions would take an enormous effort for tiny amounts of money. Is there a de minimis amount for private individuals so I can safely disregard some transactions?
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 10:02:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Sixto Olson,

If you are resident in the UK and have any foreign income, regardless of how much there is, it must be reported in a self assessment tax return.  
The disposal of the share, may result in a capital gains tax liability, which should be reported on a self assessment tax return.  
You will need to convert the buying and disposal value, plus buying and selling costs to pounds sterling, using the official exchange rate in place at the time of buying and selling.
The official exchange rates can be found at Exchange rates from HMRC in CSV and XML format and archived rates at Exchange rates.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.