Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 14 Jan 2024 07:01:45 GMT by
In February 2023 I registered as being self-employed from December 2022, so this is my first self assessment return. When I got to the section asking if I wished to pay Class 2 NICs voluntarily, I clicked the 'Yes' option. But when I tried submitting my return the following error message was displayed: As Class 2 NIC amount is not available or is zero, select 'No' to Do you want to pay Class 2 NICs voluntarily?' My Class 2 NIC amount was showing as £0 in an earlier box due to minimal profits (less than £1000). But I do want to make voluntary payments to ensure I don't miss out on qualifying years. I had 30 years when I took early retirement as an employee 14 years ago, but in the interim the requirement has increased to 35 years. If I am being forced to reply 'No' to this question, in order to submit my return; how can I make any Voluntary payments?
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:42:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Duncan Hewitt,
In this case, the voluntary payment cannot be collected through self assessment.  
You will need to contact the NIC helpline and make a voluntary payment to them.
They should also be able to update self assessment, so the future voluntary payments can be made via the tax return.  
The helpline number is 0300 200 3500 (Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays).  
You may find more information at National Insurance: detailed information.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.