Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2024 10:52:53 GMT by Tony Hall
I phoned HMRC in early April stating as I had no Self Employment in 2023-2024, and asked if I could be removed from SA. I was told that was now done and I would receive a letter from HMRC confirming this. After two weeks of no letter, I phone again and the agent confirmed I was down for no SA required. Today, I receive the SA forms to complete for tax year 2023-2024! Any advice on what to do next, apart from spend 90 minutes waiting to talk on the phone again, with probably the same non result?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2024 12:16:36 GMT by Tony Hall
After waiting for days and receiving no help from HMRC Admin on here, I phoned up again and my query should be resolved. I was informed I no longer need to do SA and would receive confirmation by letter.

Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 08:15:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Tony Hall,
The notice to file the 2023/24 tax returns were selected to be issued before 5 April so could just be a cross over with your record being closed. As you have already contacted HMRC and been confirmed as closed then we would advice you wait for the letter confirming this. 
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 08:22:54 GMT by Tony Hall
Its been a week now and still no letter, what is the normal timeframe to receive a letter?
Posted Thu, 09 May 2024 08:23:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Tony Hall,
It can take up to 14 working days for letters to be delivered.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 09 May 2024 08:29:18 GMT by Tony Hall
Its been 16 days now and still no letter. Do you recommend Icontact again for the third time?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2024 08:48:43 GMT by Tony Hall
Starting another week now and still no letter. I know HMRC were scaling back the telephone side of things, is the mailing side receiving the same treatment?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 11:24:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi  Tony Hall

If you have still not had a response then I suggest that you contact us again.  

Thank you
Posted Fri, 17 May 2024 05:38:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Tony Hall,
If you still haven't receieved confirmation of the closure of your Self Assessment record, and would like us to confirm this, you can contact us by webchat or phone here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 17 May 2024 07:08:16 GMT by Tony Hall
Thank you, I had it confirmed by webchat on 23 April but I was told by them, I would receive a confirmation letter but again, nothing received so no point in getting the same response through webchat again I believe. I saved the webchat conversation so if HMRC try to fine me for non submission of SA, I can prove what I was told.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.