Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 21 Aug 2023 11:19:58 GMT by Antoinette Watt
Hi, I have been filing my return online for a few years. I now have to declare £930 of foreign savings interest. Can I declare this in my usual online return or do I need to complete a paper form return please? Thank you!
Posted Thu, 24 Aug 2023 08:30:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Antoinette Watt,
You can still do it online. You will need to tailor your tax return at section 3 to answer  'yes' that you have foreign income. 
Thank you 
Posted Sun, 27 Aug 2023 13:46:32 GMT by Antoinette Watt
Thank you. Another question. I’ve had some trust income which I’m told I can only declare on paper forms. Is that correct? Thank you so much.
Posted Fri, 01 Sep 2023 11:11:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Antoinette Watt,

You cannot file a Self Assessment tax return online using the HMRC tax return: for a partnership, for a trust or estate, if you lived abroad as a non-resident, to report multiple ‘chargeable gains’, for example from life insurance, if you get income from a trust, you’re a Lloyd’s underwriter or a religious minister.
Instead, you purchase commercial software to submit the return online, that include the additional section you need.  
You need to have a government gateway user ID and password to do this.  
There is a list of software suppliers at Self Assessment commercial software suppliers.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.