Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 12:53:39 GMT by Ian Hardiman
I have borrowed money from an offshore company. I will be paying interest on the monies I have received. The company, who has lent me the money, is an overseas company and they are from a country that does not have a DTA with the UK and therefore, tax should be deducted from the interest payments I make. If this was a company paying interest, then the company would file a CT61 form and pay the interest accordingly. However as I am an individual paying interest, what are the mechanics behind how I should report and pay the tax, which is due? Thank you kindly
Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 10:15:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi

Please refer to Director's loans

Thank you
Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 10:49:37 GMT by Ian Hardiman
Thank you for the response, however, you have misunderstood the question. Me, the individual is paying, the company (overseas) interest and I need to deduct tax from the payment. How do I, as the individual report this tax and when is it reported. I understand and agree, if a company pays interest, form CT61 is completed and submitted each quarter. However what is the equivalent to the CT61 form, when an individual, rather than a company, pays interest and needs to deduct tax??? Thank you kindly.
Posted Thu, 09 May 2024 09:41:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Ian Hardiman,
You would need to write to HMRC each year to report the interest paid to the non resident company and any tax deducted.
We would then raise a charge.
The tax on the interest is due under ITA07/S874(2).
Guidance is at SAIM9200, SAIM9170 and SAM22010 provides more information:
SAIM9170 - Deduction of tax: collection arrangements: persons other than companies: direct collection
SAIM9200 - Payment of interest overseas
SAM22010 - Assessments: non SA assessing: legislation
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.