Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 24 Aug 2023 18:12:59 GMT by Slava
Hello, I am in the process of registering as a self-employed sole trader and need to specify a business address. I work remotely from my home office, which is a rented house, and I don't actually require a physical business address except for possible HMRC correspondence in the future. 1. Can I rely on HMRC online cabinet for all notifications and communication? 2. Is it necessary for the business address to be in the UK, or can I use an alternative address outside UK (for example, my own home in another country)? I'm asking these questions because I've discovered specific clauses in my tenancy agreement that make me concerned about using my rented address as a business address. Therefore, I'm wondering if I can use an alternative address located outside the UK to pass registration and avoid potential violations of my existing tenancy agreement. Then, I would use my online cabinet for all notifications and communication regarding taxes etc. Just in case, these clauses are as follows: > 3.9.4 Not to register a company at the address of the Property. > 3.9.5 Not to operate a business trade or profession from the Property I would appreciate your guidance in this matter. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 31 Aug 2023 06:08:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Slava,
If you are resident in the UK, while trading as a sole trader, you would use a UK address.
This is for HMRC puproses only.
HMRC cannot comment on the restrictions of your rental agreement.
You would need to discuss this with your landlord.
HMRC only send general advice or information via email.
All other correpondence will be by post.
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 04 Sep 2023 17:25:03 GMT by Slava
Hello, thank you for your answer.

Feedback  .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.