Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:42:32 GMT by
Hi, Appreciate it if I can get the below clarified, please. In the self assessment returns form there is a section for getting tax relief for pension contribution. It has the below points. 1. Payments to registered pension schemes where basic rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider (called ‘relief at source’). Enter the payments and basic rate tax. 2. Payments to a retirement annuity contract where basic rate tax relief will not be claimed by your provider. 3. Payments to your employer’s scheme which were not deducted from your pay before tax. 4. Payments to an overseas pension scheme, which is not UK-registered, which are eligible for tax relief and were not deducted from your pay before tax. I am a high-rate taxpayer (40%). I contribute to two pension schemes. One is into my personal pension and the other is my employer’s pension scheme. In the self assessment tax returns, I understand that I need to enter the personal pension gross amount in the box 1 (point 1 above). I also contribute to my employer’s pension scheme, but the pension is deducted from the salary after calculating tax. In this case, the pension provider claims back 20% (tax relief) and add it to the pension pot. For example, let us assume that the monthly salary is £5000, and the pension contribution is £200. In this case, the employer calculates the tax based on the total monthly salary £5000 and the pension contribution is taken from the salary after tax. I.e., £200 is taken from £5000 – tax. In the pension pot, I have £200 plus the tax relief (20%) claimed by the pension provider (£200+£50). Can you please clarify whether I should enter the 2022-23 pension contribution into the employer's pension scheme in box 3 (point 3 above) or should I add it to the personal pension amount and put it in box 1 (point 1)? Thanks Vinod
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 19:29:45 GMT by
Hi, I would appreciate it if you could provide clarification on this. Thank you in advance for your help. Regards Vinod
Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:00:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If the pension contributions are taken from your net income after tax calculated then you would enter the grossed up figure in the employers pension scheme box. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.