Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 18 Dec 2023 20:27:28 GMT by Wai Nang Chin
My wife and I moved to UK on Oct 2023 from Hong Kong via BN(O) Visa. I have a buy to let property in Manchester since 2021. I had paid the rental income tax to HMRC for the past 2 years. Since I am not residence in UK before, I don't have the personal allowance (12570 pound). Now I am retired and live in UK. I want to know whether I have the personal allowance when I return and pay the rental income next year (2023-2024)? For my wife, she don't have job now and she is now looking for a job. When will she have the personal allowance? Somebody say she need to state in UK for not less than 183 days and somebody say she should state for 2 and a half years. Besides, I want to know the amount of saving interest allowance? Please kindly advice me. Thanks a lot.
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:33:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
You will be entitled to personal allowances once you are UK tax resident, as will your wife.
The savings allowance is £2000.
Posted Wed, 20 Dec 2023 08:24:16 GMT by Wai Nang Chin
My wife and I have moved to the UK since the end of Oct 2023. I paid the last 2 years rental income tax aboard. When will I be UK tax resident? My UK friend told me that I am UK tax resident when I move to UK. Is that right? My wife is now looking for a job. What about her? She will be UK tax resident once she have a job or she need to state over 183 days in UK? I saw from HMRC website the personal allowance is £5000? What for? Thanks a lot.
Posted Wed, 27 Dec 2023 11:41:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi, Wai Nang Chin
You need to determine this yourself from the guidance available. Please refer to Residence, Domicile and Remittance Basis Manual.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.