Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 10:41:13 GMT by Ivan Wong
Hi HMRC, I'm using commercial software to submit Self-assessment for 2022-2023. I've lower income than my wife in year 2022-23 and there will be a Marriage Allowance of GBP 1260 to be transferred to wife as stated in the calculation. May I ask, 1. Do I have to apply for the Marriage Allowance online first, before I submit my self-assessment SA100? 2. Does my wife need to apply the same (she has higher income than me)? 3. Does my wife need to state this allowance of GBP 1260 in her self-assessment? If so, may I know which section box to fill in? Best Regards
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2023 15:54:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Ivan Wong,
You need to apply before you submit your return so that it allows it in the calculation for both of you.
As you are using commercial software HMRC cannot tell you where on the system to claim it and you will need to check all the questions or contact the supplier.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.