Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 13:01:15 GMT by Rakan
Hi, I hold stocks in the US, Singapore, and the UK. Last year, I received dividends from these stocks, and the total amount exceeded £2,000. Do I need to complete a self-assessment tax return? I noticed that the UK dividends already had tax withheld when they were paid to me. If I exclude the UK dividends, my total dividend income is not over £2000. Do I still need to file a self-assessment tax return? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 03 Nov 2023 10:17:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Rakan,
Yes, your total UK and foreign dividends exceed £2000.00, so you need to complete a tax return (SA100).
You will need to declare the overseas dividends in the foreign section of the tax return (SA106) and submit in full, either online or on paper.
File your Self Assessment tax return online
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 03 Nov 2023 11:08:45 GMT by Rakan
Hi, Thank you for your quick reply. But I want to clarify it clearly, is it still need to submit UK stock dividends? It is because my previous mentioned the UK dividend already had tax withheld. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 15:47:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Rakan,
Yes, you need to declare UK stock dividends, as you have to declare your world-wide income in your tax return.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 16:39:54 GMT by Rakan
Hi, Thank you for the reply.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.