Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 15 Jul 2023 07:22:54 GMT by
Hi, I'm UK/Italian citizen that has a full-time job and is resident in the UK. Recently a company for which I worked in Australia (I spent a couple of years in Sydney, with working VISA 10 years ago) contacted me for a remote job that I can do in the UK. It will be a casual job contract (I have a fulltime job here in the UK), but it is not clear to me if I should pay taxes for Australia or for the UK. They will eventually pay me in the Australian bank account. If it is Australia, I have to fill out a form, but if it is the UK what should I do and what eventually does the company need to do?
Posted Thu, 20 Jul 2023 16:43:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

As per Article 14 of  the UK/Australia Double Taxation agreement, as a UK resident working remotely you will continue to pay UK tax on the income received from your Australian employer.
If any tax is deducted by the Australian tax authority, you can claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief in the Foreign pages (SA106) of your Self Assessment tax return. 

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.