Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 08:39:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

We are unable to advise regarding digital nomad visas, as this is not a tax matter.  

You can ask your UK employer to write to HMRC and seek a direction to operate PAYE on an employees earnings or complete the online form here:

Apply for a direction to operate PAYE on an employee's earnings  

You can find guidance on National Insurance here:

National Insurance if you work abroad

If you need further information on National Insurance you will need to contact our National Insurance team.

National Insurance: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 13:55:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Ivan Burgess,

We are unable to advise on this. You will need to check with the Spanish authorities or the Home Office.

Thank you
Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 11:45:15 GMT by Glen Winters
Hi, I am planning on going for a digital nomad visa to then work from another country permanently and I have a few questions. 1) Does my employer need to change the way they pay me or the way they pay tax? 2) do I need to pay tax in the UK and National insurance while also paying tax in the country where I go to under the visa? 3) what documents would I need to obtain to do this to be avoid double tax (paying tax in the UK and where I go on the digital nomad visa) 4) just to note I work fully remotely as a Web developer so I would not need to come back to the UK unless to visit family My plans are to wait until Korea releases their digital nomad visa this year and I would like to know how it all works so I can plan accordingly. Thanks, 

Name removed Admin 
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 11:29:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Please refer to guidance at:

Tax on your UK income if you live abroad

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 04 Jul 2023 21:56:01 GMT by tg295
Hi, like many of the others here i'm looking to apply for the digital nomad visa for Spain. If I will be working from there for less than a year do I still need to complete the P85 so that my employer receives a NT code (i've seen that it's only necessary if you're staying for longer than a tax year)? And if not, what do I need to do instead? Also any other information on what my employer will need to do would be much appreciated.
Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 11:23:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi tg295
It is the only way we can issue a NT code to your UK employer.
Posted Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:29:05 GMT by dook1995 Osei
Hi, I am looking to apply for the spanish digital nomad visa. I have been told that my employer can continue to pay my salary via PAYE and that I can get a certificate to avoid having to pay NI and social security in Spain due to a double tax treaty between the UK and Spain. Are there any other tax considerations for my employer? Will my income received through PAYE be subject to income tax?
Posted Tue, 01 Aug 2023 13:42:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Please refer to guidance at:

Tax on your UK income if you live abroad

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 02 Aug 2023 19:01:36 GMT by Sam Richardson
Hi, As with everybody else in this thread, I'm looking to begin a Digital Nomad Visa, but in Malaysia. All I need confirmation on is when I can apply for the NT code? Would it be AFTER 183 days, or could it be from when I relocate knowing that I'll be working from Malaysia for the full year?
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 13:52:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Sam,

If you do not need to complete a Self Assessment Tax return in the year you leave, all you need to do is submit form P85 no sooner than 8 weeks before your known departure date.  

Get your Income Tax right if you're leaving the UK

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 17 Sep 2023 06:29:42 GMT by Abulbanaat
Hi, I am a limited company (PSC) contractor who will continue to work through my UK limited company whilst in the UAE. I think I've understood the employee side of the question based on the responses above, ie tax is determined by residence status for a British digital nomad moving abroad. However if any of my work is inside IR35 with British customers, how would this affect my individual and my end client dealing of my personal taxation? Company question - will my English limited company continue to pay UK corporation tax on income generated (remotely, by myself) from the UAE? And will this answer be different based on whether my business will have only UAE (or non-UK) based customers? Thanks
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 14:54:09 GMT by LukeR1994
I'm looking to get a Digital Nomad Visa for Spain, my work are allowing it but HR / payroll can be messy. Do I just fill out the attached forms and then notify HMRC directly of my new tax code? Do they then contact my employer about this in the form of an email or is this just updated on payroll automatically?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.