Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 23 Jul 2023 20:54:29 GMT by
I am currently a master's student and as a result of the confirmation I received from my school and the research I have done, I have the right to work for 20 hours during the academic calendar and 40 hours during the summer holidays. They stated that I have such a right as I am not in the thesis period. I started my first 20-hour part-time job in March and started my second 20-hour part-time job in June, since my school is on summer vacation. I work 20 hours in both jobs and I never exceed 40 hours. Both businesses know that I work two jobs, and my tax code at my first job is 1257L, and at my second job, which I started later, my tax code is BR. However, there is one thing that I'm curious about and want to be sure of because I don't want to have problems with the visa later on. As far as I know, payments are made on monthly working hours. And if in the future I am asked to prove that I do not exceed 20 hours per week during the academic calendar and 40 hours during the holidays, what should I do? Should I get a letter from the workplace or do I have documents that I need to keep just in case? Or should my workplace take action on this? I would be very grateful if you could help me with this topic.
Posted Thu, 27 Jul 2023 15:47:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Basak,
If this situation arises you would need to contact the employer and ask them to provide evidence of your working hours.
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 19:34:18 GMT by
Am a student does sleep overs in care count as working hours?
Posted Fri, 19 Jan 2024 06:23:10 GMT by
I am a student working 20 hiurs per week during term time , my question is , my employer pay weekly, that is this week work will be paid next week.my payslips does not reflect the exact date have worked it usually one week later date that my payslips reflect So during my school break which I have worked full time the date showing on payslips is a week later after the work done Hope this will not be an issue Hope this will not be an issue
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 10:21:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Danokaliwe

Yes it does if this is your job.

Thank you
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 14:38:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Omolove
This is normal practice for employers to pay their employees in arrears.  There is nothing to worry about.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 21:47:08 GMT by Sanjog Karki
Ask HMRC online Print or save chat Turn notification sound off Skip to bottom of conversation You are currently chatting with a computer. 10:29 PM 10:29 PM Automated message : Hello, I’m HMRC’s digital assistant. Tell me in a few words what you’d like help with, without giving me any personal information. 10:36 PM 10:36 PM You said : Hi there. I am on international student visa and started a 20 hours/week job. My employer provides me monthly payment. In my pay slip they mention total monthly hours of my work. I started job on 21 March they and they paid me on 31 March. My payslip includes total hours of both weeks. Will this hamper me in future?
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2024 12:23:57 GMT by Sanjog Karki
I am an international student and started a 20 hours/week job. My employer provides me monthly payment. In my pay slip they mention total monthly hours of my work. I started job on 21 March they and they paid me on 31 March. My payslip includes total hours of both weeks. Will this hamper me in future?
Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 00:00:45 GMT by Sarathy Sivakumar
I'm a international student and I have a doubt about working full time after term dates of my university course. My question is "How many hours can I work as a full-time after my term dates of my course untill my BRP expires?"
Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 00:09:24 GMT by Sarathy Sivakumar
I have one more question about paid holiday hours while working 20 hours as a student. Are paid holidays calculated based on the basic 20 hours per week for part-time students? For example, in my part-time job, they credit my salary every month-end, which amounts to 80 hours per month. However, one month, I received 78 hours as my basic student hours for the month and then received an extra 7 hours as holiday pay. Will this affect my future PSW visa?
Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 09:11:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Sorry, we can only answer HMRC questions on this forum.

Please contact UK Visas and Immigration for advice.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 15:14:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Sanjog Karki,
No, as this will show that it is not income for just 1 week.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 20:04:50 GMT by Hari Bohora
I am a doing Masters in Digital Marketing in York St John University and I am on 1 year program can I work full time during Summer or Can I travel during summer?
Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 20:09:17 GMT by Hari Bohora
I am in international student visa I work part time and In the Year 23/24 I have received total salary of only 11500 and paid tax about 400 pound. How can I get my tax refund, what is the process for this?
Posted Wed, 08 May 2024 19:36:15 GMT by anjali
Hello, I have a question regarding the hours I can work during non-term time. I’m currently pursuing my one-year Master’s degree, and my semester classes will be finished by the end of this week. No more modules are left except for the upcoming assessment submission and the main project. I would like to inquire if I’m permitted to work for up to 40 hours during this period until my visa expires. I truly appreciate any assistance you can offer. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 09 May 2024 13:45:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Sorry, we can only answer HMRC questions on this forum.

Please contact UK Visas and Immigration for advice.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.