Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2024 10:05:29 GMT by Edmond Tse
Hi, I moved to the UK from Hong Kong for more than a year. I am a director of a limited company in Hong Kong, it is solely owned by myself, and I was paid by this as director's fee. I work remotely from home in the UK with my colleagues in their Hong Kong office. The business is all in Hong Kong and not related to the UK. I understand that I need to file my tax return as self-employed for my director's fee income. I noticed that I need to input the incomes and expenses of my company. My questions are: 1. Is it correct that I file my income as self-employed ? 2. I tried to fill in the self assessment online, I noticed that I need to input the incomes and expenses of the company. And some of the fields are not related, such as entertainment. I cannot leave it blank or input "0" , what should I do? 3. The company actually made no profit last year. Is the self-employed tax return based on the company profit/loss or based on the personal income?
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 10:35:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

As your Self Assessment tax return is purely for personal income and capital gains purposes, you should not include any of your company's income and expenses, as this is not your personal income.  
You need to keep your company accounts and income separate from your personal income.
Thank you
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2024 08:55:28 GMT by Edmond Tse
Hi, thank you for the clarification. But for the first question, is it a correct way to file the director's fee income as self-employed in Self Assessment?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.