Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Self Assessment as a Director of a foreign company

Hi, thank you for the clarification. But for the first question, is it a correct way to file the director's fee income as self-employed in Self Assessment?
  • RE: Self-employed from other country

I am trying to complete the tax return online, and report the director's fee under self-employment section. The HMRC website asks many figures about the incomes, loses and allowances. Do I need to fill in all that figures? I just simply received the money as director's fee from my Hong Kong company, there are no expenses or allowances. Can I just simply input the amount I earned under the box "Turnover - takings, fees, sales or money earned by your business:"? Another question: I noticed that here is a Form CWF1, do I need to register as self-employed in the HMRC system with my Hong Kong company information? The company has no presence in the UK and no businesses are related and performed in the UK. Thank you.
  • Self Assessment as a Director of a foreign company

Hi, I moved to the UK from Hong Kong for more than a year. I am a director of a limited company in Hong Kong, it is solely owned by myself, and I was paid by this as director's fee. I work remotely from home in the UK with my colleagues in their Hong Kong office. The business is all in Hong Kong and not related to the UK. I understand that I need to file my tax return as self-employed for my director's fee income. I noticed that I need to input the incomes and expenses of my company. My questions are: 1. Is it correct that I file my income as self-employed ? 2. I tried to fill in the self assessment online, I noticed that I need to input the incomes and expenses of the company. And some of the fields are not related, such as entertainment. I cannot leave it blank or input "0" , what should I do? 3. The company actually made no profit last year. Is the self-employed tax return based on the company profit/loss or based on the personal income?
  • Employer National Insurance contribution for a Foreign company

I own a Hong Kong company, and I work remotely from home here in the UK. I used to have a part time staff working for me on paper work while I was still in Hong Kong. The part time staff I was hiring has recently moved to the UK, and he is still working for me as part time staff. I understand that he stills need to file income tax as self employed in the UK. In respect to the National Insurance, does he has to pay NI? And does my Hong Kong company need to make contribution to his NI? He works less than 20 hours per week, is there any threshold for the national insurance in view of employer and employee?