Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 14:26:31 GMT by hmrc_user567
Last year (2021-2022) I was given a K code for my PAYE tax. I overpaid 9000+ during that year. It was due to estimated earnings from being self-employed. I was no longer self-employed when the code was issued. I have been an empolyee since May 2021. My last self empolyed earnings were March 2021. How can I request a repayment for the overpaid tax?
Posted Thu, 12 Oct 2023 06:56:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi hmrc_user567,

If you were no longer in Self Assessment for 2021/22 then your records would be reviewed through your PAYE records.
If you were still in Self Assessment then it will be dealt with when you file your 2021/22 tax return.
If not yet reviewed you will need to contact HMRC. Contact HMRC

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 12 Oct 2023 11:05:40 GMT by hmrc_user567
On threat of penalties I had to submit my 21/22 self assessment. Even if I did not agree with HMRC calculations. A phone call to HMRC at the time told me the estimated earnings miscalculation would be dealt with. This was over a year ago and have not seen any update or communication from HMRC. A subsequent phone call when submitting 22/23 self assessment found nothing under my account. Should I make a formal query via post? And to whom should I address my questions?
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 12:55:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You would need to contact our Self Assessment team to review.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.