Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 17 Sep 2023 21:01:36 GMT by SKwok
Do I need to declare the income from UK banks interest before I become a tax resident and the split year treatment applied?
Posted Wed, 27 Sep 2023 11:06:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi SKwok,
If you qualify for split year then you only report any foreign income for the UK part of the year:
RDRM12000 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment: Contents
If you do not qualify then you will need to report all your foreign income to the UK:
Tax on foreign income
The guidance at RDRM12150 at www.gov.uk will help you work out if split year treatment applies. 
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 27 Sep 2023 12:37:54 GMT by SKwok
Hi HMRC Admin 25, Thanks for your reply. It means that if I qualify for split year I need to declare all UK income for the period from 6 Apr to 5 Apr and any foreign income for the UK part of the year only. SKwok
Posted Wed, 29 May 2024 14:07:41 GMT by YF
I have a savings account with a UK bank and received interest before I became a UK tax resident. Do I need to declare the income from UK bank interest earned in my self-assessment for the period before I became a tax resident if the Split Year Treatment is applied? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 03 Jun 2024 11:48:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

As it is a UK bank account, yes, as you need to declare all UK income.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 03 Jun 2024 12:54:56 GMT by Kingston01
Hi. When HMRC change your amount of untaxed savings interested and thus change your tax code, is it possible to ask HMRC for the calculation i.e each amount of interest received from each source and added together to make the total figure used by HMRC. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 06 Jun 2024 09:16:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Kingston01,
Yes, you can contact HMRC for a breakdown here:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.