Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Tax on provident fund

Hello, I became a UK tax resident starting from July 2023, which is the date of my arrival in the UK. I had a job before coming to the UK, and my provident fund, a type of pension in Hong Kong, was paid after my arrival in the UK. Based on my understanding, Article 17 of the UK/Hong Kong double taxation agreement advises that 'Pensions and other similar remunerations' arising in Hong Kong and paid to a resident of the UK, in consideration of past employment, are only taxable in Hong Kong. As this income is not taxable in the UK, I do not have to report it in my self-assessment tax return. Could you please confirm this? Thank you.
  • RE: Self-assessment - Foreign inocme

Hi, Thanks for your reply. If the salary mentioned above is not taxable in the UK, do I need to mention the salary payment received from HK employment with details in the tax return? Thank you.
  • RE: Bank Rebate

Hello, I received a rebate from an overseas bank for depositing a certain amount of new funds and maintaining the total balance of the deposit account for a specified period. Is this rebate taxable and counted as my income? Thank you.
  • RE: UK Banks interest income before become tax resident while split year treatment applied

I have a savings account with a UK bank and received interest before I became a UK tax resident. Do I need to declare the income from UK bank interest earned in my self-assessment for the period before I became a tax resident if the Split Year Treatment is applied? Thank you.
  • RE: Hong Kong Pension

Hello, I became a UK tax resident starting from July 2023, which is the date of my arrival in the UK. I had a job before coming to the UK, and my provident fund, a type of pension in Hong Kong, was paid after my arrival in the UK. Based on my understanding, Article 17 of the UK/Hong Kong double taxation agreement advises that 'Pensions and other similar remunerations' arising in Hong Kong and paid to a resident of the UK, in consideration of past employment, are only taxable in Hong Kong. As this income is not taxable in the UK, I do not have to report it in my self-assessment tax return. Could you please confirm this? Thank you.
  • RE: Self-assessment - Foreign inocme

Hello, I became a UK tax resident starting from 15 July 2023, which is the date of my arrival in the UK. I notified my previous employer of resignation from my employment in Hong Kong before coming to the UK, and the last working date of my Hong Kong employment was 12 July 2023. Following my last working day, my annual holiday period began, and I was paid salary up to and including 31 August 2023. These payments were made on a monthly basis, and I received my salary at the end of July and August 2023. I have applied for Split Year Treatment in my self-assessment. Based on my understanding, my income from employment in July and August 2023 was related to work carried out in Hong Kong before I came to the UK, and this salary income has already been taxed in Hong Kong. Therefore, it is not taxable in the UK, regardless of when it was paid. However, I am unsure if my understanding is correct and whether I should report it in my self-assessment. Could you please confirm this? Thank you.
  • RE: Private Residence Relief

Hello, I relocated in the UK in July 2023. I bought my current home in the UK in December 2022 while I was living in my home in Hong Kong, which was my main residence for the entire time I owned it. Therefore, I owned more than one home from December 2022 to July 2023. After arriving in the UK, I sold my house in Hong Kong and received the proceeds a few days after my arrival. I used the tool on the HMRC webpage to determine if I am eligible for Private Residence Relief. The result indicated that I am entitled to full Private Residence Relief and do not need to fill in the CGT section of the tax return. This means I don't have to declare anything about my sold property in my tax return. Could you please confirm this? Thank you.
  • RE: Do I need to pay CGT for currency conversion of HKD to USD to GBP?

Hello, After my relocation to the UK, I converted most of my savings into US Dollars (assuming no currency gain/loss as HKD and USD are pegged), as I think holding US Dollars is more convenient. Then, I further converted part of the US Dollars into British Pounds little by little at different times. Based on my understanding, I don't have to pay Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on gains from foreign currency conversions for personal use, as I am not using the converted funds for investment purposes. However, I am unsure if I am correct. Could you please confirm this? Thank you.