Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 08:24:54 GMT by Malgorzata Rudnicka
Hi, I want to start working as an independent contractor for a US-based company. From what I understand, this means I will be self-employed and need to set up as a sole trader. However, since I do not have a UK passport or UK-issued driving licence, I don't seem to be able to register for Self Assessment. I would be grateful for any advice on what my next steps should be in this case. If that information is relevant, my right to work is under EU pre-settlement scheme. Thank you!
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2023 11:39:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Malgorzata Rudnicka,
You must have a National Insurance number before you can register for Self Assessment.
To apply for a National Insurance number phone Jobcentre Plus on:
0800 141 2075.
You may be asked to go to an interview to confirm your identity.
If you cannot register online, register for Self Assessment and Class 2 National Insurance by filling in the form online.
Please print and post it to HMRC.
This link will take you to the form to be completed:
Register if you’re a Self Employed sole trader
There is also more information here:
Set up as a sole trader
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.