Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 01 Oct 2023 11:07:19 GMT by
Hi there, I already have my UTR and have previously completed Self Assessments as a sole trader but I closed that business and 'deregistered' several years ago. I need to register as sole trader again but for a completely different business. Everything I've read says that I need to 'reactivate' my Self Assessment and re-register as a sole trader but I can't find any way of doing that. I understand that I will need to complete a Self Assessment for 2023/24 but can't see how to register my new trading name, start date etc, now. When I login to my personal tax account, my business account is still there but when I try to 'add a tax' there is no 'sole trader' option. Only 'partnership' or 'trust'. Please could you advise me on how to add the new business? Thanks in advance
Posted Mon, 09 Oct 2023 12:03:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

You can register as self employed sole trader at:

Set up as a sole trader

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2024 13:24:07 GMT by christian
Hi, I am in a similar situation. I submitted the form for a stop trading as a sole trader, but I realized some of my clients are still asking for my service. I used this form https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/shortforms/form/CeaseTrading I'm unsure if I can still use the same business name and keep trading, or do I need to do anything else? How can I tell HMRC that I want to continue trading as before the form was sent? Thank you!
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2024 08:37:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi christian,
If you wish to continue trading you will need to re-register as self employed as the form you completed will stop class 2 and class 4 NIC contibutions being collected through your tax return. You could contact the NIC helpline on 0300 200 3500, for advice on NIC matters and 0300 200 3310 or contact our webchat facility at hContact HMRC, to ensure that your self assessment tax record is not made dormant.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.