Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2024 22:35:44 GMT by J G
Okay, I'm afraid I've made a mistake. A few years ago, when I arrived in the UK, I accepted to work 1 to 5 days per month as a receptionist at a venue for a time. But the problem was that the job wasn't declared or, at least, I'm not completely sure... I mean, to pay me, they were sending me £60 per day of work straight to my account...but I didn't sign any contract or nothing of the sort (I didn't get any receipt either) be honest, I thought it wasn't a lot of money, that the job was nice..and I was also not completely sure of how things worked and thought that I'd bother them if I asked them for a contract (it was a flexible job, the company was offering work whenever they had availabilities and I could say 'yes' or 'no', there was no committment on either side...What I did is that, as I was also self-employed, registered here in the UK (but for different things, I'm a freelancer in communications), I did add the money they were giving me to the business turn-over I was declaring to HMRC (but I admit that I didn't invoice them and it's true again the 'task' that was required of me didn't match the business description I first gave HMRC when I registered)... I thought that as long as I would declare the money I would be fine...but maybe not ? I talked about that with a friend and have a doubt now... Could I be in trouble ? Should I do something about it (and what?)? In any case, I would not have owed HMRC any money as I was below the personal allowance (even with this money as a receptionis). Sorry, I hope, you can help
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2024 09:09:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Where your turnover from self employment exceeds £1000 or you are in receipt of untaxed income of £2500 or more and there is tax liability and you need to register for Self Assessment.

If you are self employed, you would register for Self Assessment as self employed, as you may have National Insurance to pay or you may want the opportunity to pay class 2 National Insurance contributions to go towards your State Pension.  

Check how to register for Self Assessment

Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.