Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 10:23:03 GMT by jordanameliacarroll
Hi Last year I received a letter about self assessment which at the time I didn't understand what it meant - I logged in and began to follow it then realised I do not need to do self assessment as I'm full time employed and have been for years. I have NEVER been self employed. I thought that I didn't need to do anymore. I started to get more letters threatening me to pay money. I eventually managed to get through to someone who went through everything with me and explained what self assessment was and what had happened, he said I didn't need to worry again and that now my account was correct. I have just received a letter telling me I'm late doing a tax return for the year ending 5 April 2021...... what is going on. What is this about? I've logged in and it says I need to pay £100 late fee. I was told this was all sorted, I do not need to be self assessed and I am not late for anything. I pay my tax through my full time job and have done all my life. I have severe mental health problems at the moment and this is making things so much worse as I am left on hold for hours, the website sends me in circles, there is no one to talk to directly via an online chat, there is no option in my account to get rid of this self assessment. Which I'm confused why was the person I last spoke to on the phone about this telling me it was all sorted and laughing at how I definitely did not need to be put through all this... and yet now you are doing it again and trying to charge me money and making it insanely difficult for me to get through to speak to anyone about this or do anything about it. I find it hard enough to live day to day without trying to sort this out when I don't even know why this is happening to me I do not have £100 to pay for a late fee and especially not one that I should not be paying and do not need to pay Please someone help me I'm at a loss at what to do and it's making me very upset. I have always paid my tax through my full time employer and feel as though I am too stupid to understand why this is happening to me
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 10:48:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

I am sorry you are having problems contacting HMRC. In this case we would need to review your record.
To do this you will need to contact HMRC. You can do this by phone or webchat from this link.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.