Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 23 May 2024 10:31:49 GMT by CommunityA
Hi, I would like to receive guidance for self assesment in order to declare my private pension. How can this be done? This option is not available when trying to register for self assessment. To give a bit more insight, I have received a job offer where my salary will be +60 k / per annum, however the employer does not have a private pension scheme, but I would like to continue paying my monthly contributions and at the same time declaring them to HMRC. thank you
Posted Tue, 28 May 2024 14:43:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

To declare private pension payments on your Self Assessment return, enter your gross private pension payments in the first box titled 'Payments to registered pension schemes...' on the page 'Paying into registered pension schemes and overseas pension schemes'.

Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 28 May 2024 15:00:20 GMT by CommunityA
Thank you for your reply. The problem I have is that I am not registered for self assessment yet. And when trying to do so, I have the following options only: - you were self-employed as a sole trader - you were a partner in a business partnership - you had a total taxable income of more than £ 150,000 - you had to pay Capital Gains Tax - you had to pay the High Income Child Benefit Charge Maybe I am missing something, but I can only see these options, none of them are for contributions towards private pension.
Posted Mon, 03 Jun 2024 12:53:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Paying into a private pension is not criteria for Self Assessment. You can see information here:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

If you contact our Income Tax team we can review this for you.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 03 Jun 2024 13:23:17 GMT by Amy R
If the user is a 40% tax payer, they have to do self assessment to claim the 20% back from there sipp contribution no?
Posted Wed, 05 Jun 2024 14:36:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
As you have self employment to declare, yes you will claim it on the return. If you have no need for self assessment in future and your pension contribution is under £10,000 you can claim by phone. If over £10k, you need to write in with evidence

You must be signed in to post in this forum.