Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:18:43 GMT by Danielle Janes
I am a self-employed, freelance Dental Nurse. During the course of my career, I have developed back issues which are managed with a combination of deep tissue manipulation and a chiropractor. If I am not nursing, then my back doesn't really affect me, however, due to the positioning I have to contort into during treatment, the pain becomes quite severe whilst working. My question is whether I can claim all or a portion of my costly medical expenses on my tax return. I understand that the argument of being unable to claim medical expenses if they have a benefit to your personal life usually comes into play, however, the pain and discomfort are specifically caused by and felt only during my work duties. My chiropractor has mentioned that they issue invoices for remedial medical management (for which I fall into) and these are used by their patients to claim against their tax return, however, I wanted to clarify this before I start trying to do the same. Thanking you in advance.
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 15:00:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Danielle Janes,
You can only claim expenses that are wholly necessarily and exclusively incurred in the performance of your duties and as such the costs you refer to are not allowable.
Please see Expenses if you're self-employed: Overview - GOV.UK (
Expenses if you're self-employed
Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.