Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 08 Apr 2024 23:09:05 GMT by KC
Dear Sir/Madam, My wife has been an UK resident for 2.5 years now and she has received some income (interest from savings) in the tax year of 2023-24. - Her total income (saving interest from both overseas and from the UK, all un-taxed) is around £5,000. This is her only source of income. - She was not working in the tax year of 2023-24. - She has not submitted a self-assessment in the past. Some queries, in her case: 1) Does she has to submit a self-assessment? 2) Does she has to report those income to HMRC in other way? 3) If both negative for the above 1) and 2), does she has to do anything related to the tax requirements for the tax year of 2023-24? Thank you very much.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:45:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi KC,
1) - Please see the following link about the requirement to complete a Self-Assessment Tax Return - Self Assessment tax returns.  
2) - HMRC should be notified about the amount of UK bank interest received during 2023/2024 - please, however, see the following guidance about reporting foreign income -  Tax on foreign income
3) - Whether any further action is required for 2023/2024 depends on you reviewing and considering the Guidance shown at points 1) and 2).  
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.