Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 21 Jan 2024 10:39:52 GMT by EMdriver
Hi team, I was a member of an oversea organisation and it is now just being dissolved. If the organisation is distributing surplus funds to me after it dissolved, shall I report this fund as income or dividend for self-assessment? Thanks
Posted Wed, 24 Jan 2024 14:32:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi EMdriver,
Pease refer to:
HS265 Offshore funds
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 15:00:07 GMT by EMdriver
Dear team, I have read through HS265 but found that it is not relevant. I would like to clarify that the "fund" I have mentioned in my original message is not referring to a financial product for investment. The meaning of the "fund" is referring to the money that still holds in the bank account of the dissolved organisation / company. The money is the surplus money leftover from its daily operations (such as collecting membership fee, etc). Due to it is dissolved, it is now distributing the leftover money to its members evenly. So would you please clarify again if the organisation / company is now dissolved and it is sending me their leftover cash money from their bank account, shall I report this money as income or dividend for self-assessment? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:44:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
This sounds more like a refund of contributions that you have previoulsy paid and as such is not taxable.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.