Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2024 14:06:05 GMT by Carol Payne
Hi I'm a cat/pet sitter, I drive to and look after pets in my customer's own homes. I essentially do 2 shifts a day to feed the pets, so can I claim for the morning shift, i.e. from home to customer then back home, (or if I have more than 1 customer, it would be home to customer onto next customer etc then home) then the same again for the evening shift ? Or is only 1 shift allowed ? Would it have to be classed as my choice to go home in between the 2 shifts ? Any help appreciated please.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2024 13:46:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
You can claim for more than 1 shift.
However you would need to take into account if this is a daily commute so would be classed as your place of work and fall under normal commuting.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2024 16:08:22 GMT by Carol Payne
Thank you, I've worked out the 40%/24 month rule, I did a pie chart and no client has taken more than 18% of my work time so it would not be classed as normal commuting I believe. Can I also claim for travel to initial client meet ups at their property ? Also can I claim for travel to pick up and drop off property keys for my jobs ? There is no charge for these services, included in the price. Obviously all the above is done whilst to and from my other pet sits if possible to minimise travel.
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2024 12:43:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Yes, both qualify as it is still part of your business.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.