Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2024 10:40:47 GMT by Siu Bing Wong
Hi, I arrived UK in 2023. Tax year 2023/24 is my first year to be a tax resident. I am not working at all. My only source of revenue is from saving interest income. I only received GBP 80 from overseas and GBP 10500 from UK bank for the year. Under this circumstance, am I still required to file the tax return as my total income is below the threshold of personal allowance ? I did the test on HMRC website and the result was that I need to file the tax return though. Since I have incurred overseas interest income, even amount is small, I am not sure whether I am still obliged to file the tax return . In fact, I've already applied for registration of self assessment just in case if I need to do so. However, it's been over a month and I still have not received my UTR number. Please kindly help and advise.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2024 13:57:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi 

As you got more than £10,000 from savings or investments you will need to complete a 2023/2024 - see the following links about Registering for Self Assessment and when you can expect to receive a reply from HMRC.  
Check how to register for Self Assessment and - Check when you can expect a reply from HMRC

Thank you
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2024 17:19:22 GMT by Siu Bing Wong
Thank you very much for your advice. However, may I ask one more thing. I submitted my application for registration of self assessment on 14 May while my husband submitted his in mid June. Amazingly he got reply and hence his UTR from HMRC just a few days after his submission. Would it be possible that I did something wrong with my application ? I used the link that you provided above to check the expected date of receiving the reply and it says that they are handling the application submitted by 8 May. So shall I still wait ? Looking forward to your further advice. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 03 Jul 2024 08:36:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Siu Bing Wong,
You can usually expect to receive your UTR within 4 weeks of applying.
If you have not received your UTR after applying online on the 14th of May, there may have been an issue with your application.
Please contact us by webchat or phone here where we can check the progress of your application, and register you if necessary:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.