Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 15 Aug 2023 15:40:24 GMT by Eunice Tang
In case I'm qualified to apply for "Split-year treatment" in 2022-23, can I apply this treatment on the interest income and capital gain on selling shares which are received/realised after I moved to the UK? e.g. (1) I moved to the UK on 1 Oct 2022. I received interest from an overseas bank on 1 Feb 2023, which covered the period from 1 May 2022 to 31 Jan 2023. Can I exclude the interest from 1 May 2022 to 30 Sep 2022 when reporting my income to HMRC? e.g. (2) I bought 100 shares on 1 Apr 2021 and sold them on 1 Nov 2022 (I moved to the UK on 1 Oct 2022) and made a profit of £2,000. Can I split the profit on pro-rata basis and exclude the portion (i.e. 6 Apr 2022 - 30 Sep 2022) in reporting the gain to HMRC? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 17 Aug 2023 11:21:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Eunice Tang,
No, as the income is received in the UK part of the year you need to declare all of it.
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 17 Aug 2023 13:37:48 GMT by PatWong Wong
I was government employee in Hong Kong and now living in UK after retirement. I only able to get the pension from the HKSAR Government after several years. I became a UK tax resident in 7 August 2022 and I am qualified for split year treatment. However my total income from saving is below £3,500. Am I need to fill in the split year application form and provide the self-assessment tax return? Thanks!
Posted Fri, 18 Aug 2023 14:40:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi PatWong Wong,
If you want to apply for split year treatment then yes a tax return is required.
However, the pension from Hong Kong should not be included as this is not taxable here under the double taxation agreement.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 18 Aug 2023 20:16:43 GMT by PatWong Wong
Thanks for your reply! (1). As you said I have to submit the SA1 Form to get the UTRN and then fill in the SA100 and SA109. Am I right? (2). For the SA100 can I use the online submission and the SA109 paper form submit to the HMRC separately? (3). Where can I download the SA1, SA100 and SA109, as I cannot find it? (4). If I have only about £100 interest from my bank account in Hong Kong, am I need to fill in any other form and submit to HMRC?
Posted Sat, 19 Aug 2023 13:56:41 GMT by PatWong Wong
I'm a retired person, I only have interest income from the bank in UK and Hong Kong in 2022/2023 tax period. I need to apply for the split year treatment. (1). Please tell me how to get my UTR number for the self-assessment because I'm not an employee or self-employed person and employer. Thanks !
Posted Tue, 22 Aug 2023 12:35:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please use :

Register for Self Assessment .  

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 22 Aug 2023 13:28:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

1.  Yes. 

2.  No the whole return must be submitted together 

3. See link :

Tax Return 2023

(ignore the for reference only part) 

4. This will be on the foreign income page SA106   .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2023 13:38:13 GMT by PatWong Wong
My wife also require to apply for the split year treatment and submit the self-assessment tax return. She need to create a gateway account however she does not have the following a valid UK passport a UK photocard driving licence issued by the DVLA (or DVA in Northern Ireland) a payslip from the last 3 months or a P60 from your employer for the last tax year details of a tax credit claim Would you tell me how to create a gateway account for her? Thanks!
Posted Mon, 28 Aug 2023 18:06:56 GMT by Fredrick Galmerin
Dear HMRC Admin, I am currently self-employed in an EU country and I'm preparing to relocate to the UK after a 3-year period of non-residency. As part of the process to determine eligibility for the split year treatment, I see that both case 4 and case 8 align with my situation and I have a question I would like to address. I'd like to understand whether being granted the split year treatment would mean that my UK tax liability would solely relate to the worldwide income starting from the date I meet the criteria, and whether if any other income earned during the overseas part of the year would remain exempt from UK taxation, particularly given that it has already undergone taxation in the country where I am currently residing. I greatly appreciate your assistance in clarifying this matter. Best regards, Fredrick Galmerin
Posted Tue, 29 Aug 2023 11:24:06 GMT by PatWong Wong
Sorry! My question should be how to create a personal tax account as she doesn’t have any listed information for identity verification? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 30 Aug 2023 11:05:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi PatWong Wong,

If she doesn't have any of the items listed when trying to verify, she will need to complete a paper tax return.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 04 Sep 2023 09:59:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Fredrick Galmerin,

If you qualify for split year then you only report any foreign income for the UK part of the year. You can see guidance here:

RDRM12000 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment

If you do not qualify then you will need to report all your foreign income to the UK. You can see more information here:

Tax on foreign income  

The following guidance at will help you work out if split year treatment applies:

RDRM12150 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment: Case 4: Starting to have a home in the UK only 

Thank you. 

Posted Mon, 04 Sep 2023 11:04:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi PatWong Wong,

If she does not have the information for the identity verification she will not be able to create a personal tax account.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.