Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 09 Aug 2024 12:22:49 GMT by Tom Files
Hi all So for the past year I was working as a CIS paid, agency construction worker. All of my gross earnings were taxed a flat 20% via CIS upon payment. I have submitted my tax return, with my gross income reflecting the full gross value of pay (not deducting the 20% tax). With this said, I have been given my final tax return calculation which estimates I owe £2000 in tax that needs to be paid, however I estimate that I have already paid £4000 in tax via CIS. Will this difference be evened out by HMRC so that I should receive a £2000 tax refund? There was no box on the tax return for self employed tax that has already been paid. Its been 5 weeks now since I submitted the tax return, and I am getting worried. Tried using the phone line, but can't find the appropriate option for my query. Appreciate any guidance Tom
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 15:03:10 GMT by Clive Smaldon
Not HMRC...there is a box on the self employment pages specifically to enter "CIS deducted". As you havent entered this, the easiest way for you to rectify is to submit an amended return with all of the same information but this time with the CIS figure paid entered this time. (Box 81 on page SEF5)
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2024 09:02:04 GMT by Tom Files
Hi Clive, thanks for the reply - I made the adjustment as you described. Totally overlooked the input field! Lifesaver, thanks Tom
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 09:44:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi

On the self employed page there is a box to declare the tax deducted under CIS so you get the credit on your calculation.
If you have omitted this from your tax return then you can amend to include Self Assessment tax returns.
If you need help to amend the tax return then you can contact HMRC at Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.