Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 10 Jan 2023 12:41:44 GMT by
I recently received a small inheritance. The estate was declared for inheritance tax purposes but wasn't large enough to be liable. Do I need to declare my inheritance as untaxable income on my self employed tax return?
Posted Fri, 13 Jan 2023 12:18:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Barry Croucher,

No.  
Your inheritance is not classed as income and is not taxable.  
Any interest or dividends arising from your inheritance would be taxable and would need to be declared.

Thank you.

Posted Sat, 14 Jan 2023 10:55:51 GMT by
Thanks for the info!
Posted Sat, 11 Mar 2023 05:11:30 GMT by
So similar - on my grandparent death my mother was executor and her solicitor distributed some monies to myself and my brother. Do I need to declare on self assessment as income ?

[Display name amended - Admin]
Posted Wed, 15 Mar 2023 14:43:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

No. This is an inheritance that you dont need to declare.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 17 Apr 2023 08:26:53 GMT by
Hi I received inheritance do I need to declare it? Thanks
Posted Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:55:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

No, you do not need to declare it, however, if the inheritance generated income, such as interest or dividends, then they would be subject to tax.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 04 Jun 2023 14:29:44 GMT by
Hi, I inherited money from my mother after she passed away. She was a non-domiciled, never lived in the UK but I am a British citizen. Do I need to pay tax on this inheritance?. Do I need to declare it ? Thanks
Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 11:36:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
Inheritance tax would only be due on any UK assets. see:
How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances
Thank you.
Posted Sun, 15 Oct 2023 18:36:13 GMT by
Hi I am due to receive a distribution of inheritance from a non UK Trust that is liquidating following the death of a parent living abroad. The non UK Trust will deduct 45% Tax before payment is made to me. I pay tax in the UK at 20%. Can I claim this tax back in the UK?
Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 13:07:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

No. When declaring the income, you can claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief to cover any UK tax that may be due. You would need to contact the tax department of the other country regarding any excess.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 13:32:57 GMT by
Any funds to me would not be "income" but a liquidating distribution of whatever assets were liquidated in the Trust as it is closed down / terminated. I don't believe I would know exactly the make up of the distribution. In this case as it would be a distribution after a 45% withholding in the local country, I assume it would not need to be declared in the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Posted Fri, 20 Oct 2023 15:40:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

No, it would not as it is your part of the inheritance.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2023 12:20:05 GMT by
Hello! I just inherit money from my late father (less than £45k), send from abroad. Do I need to inform HMRC? And if yes, how should I do that (all lines are off). As well this money is for myself and 2 brothers (1 lives in uk, 1 lives abroad in Poland) should I declare it as well? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2023 16:08:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
No you do not need to report  this.
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 06:57:38 GMT by
Hi, My father passed away 18 months ago and left some assets behind in Pakistan. My brother and sister wants to keep those assets for themselves and willing to pay me my share in assets (around £100K). My sister is in UK and willing to pay me my share of assets proceed from Pakistan by her UK earned salary as she don't want to sell assets back in Pakistan. Do i need to report my inheritance income to self-assessment? and do i need to make any other paperwork as i am being paid for assets proceed of Pakistan in UK by my sister from her UK based taxed salary? Thanks
Posted Mon, 04 Dec 2023 15:29:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
You do not need to declare anything for inheritance tax purposes.  
If you dispose of your share of the property, then you may be liabile to pay capital gains tax in Pakistan, as well as the UK.  
You would declare the gain in a self assessment tax return and claim a credit of up to 100% of the foreign tax paid.
Thank you.
Posted Sat, 09 Dec 2023 12:44:04 GMT by
Hi. This year I inherited 100k from the estate of my Grandmother. My uncle who was the executor took several years to execute the probate (because he was living there) but has finally moved on and paid the beneficiaries. Apparently he has not paid any tax. Will I need to pay capital gains or any other form of tax on this money and how do I inform HMRC or find out how much I owe them?
Posted Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:58:46 GMT by Sel379 Lamy
Hi, my husband recently died at our home in Portugal where we have been permanent residents since moving from the UK in October 2013. Our only asset in the UK was a joint bank account. His share of the bank account was just under £83,000 and passed to me automatically without the need for probate. Do I need to fill in any inheritance tax forms on my husband’s behalf? Thanks
Posted Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:48:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Sel379 Lamy,
Inheritance Tax is a tax on the estate (the property, money and possessions) of someone who’s died.
There’s normally no Inheritance Tax to pay if either: the value of your estate is below the £325,000 threshold.
The online tool here:
How to value an estate for Inheritance Tax and report its value,
Will help you work out if there is any inheritance tax liability.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.