Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 25 Nov 2023 14:43:29 GMT by
Hi, I am in the process of completing a self assessment to determine the High Income Child Benefit Charge. I am confused as to whether I need to include shares awarded to me by my employer which have already had the tax paid? If so, which section should this go in? Many thanks for your help.
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:28:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi SCM00001,
Yes, you would need to enter the details.
On the tailor your tax return section you would answer 'yes' to the question did you receive other UK income for example share schemes
This will open the section to declare the details. 
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:21:12 GMT by
Hi, Thank you for your response. I am still confused as if I enter this income in the share schemes section and calculate the payment, the amount is more than what we have received in child benefit! This can't be correct? This income has already been taxed and is included on my P60 - I do not owe any tax as I am PAYE, I purely need to pay the High Income Child Benefit charge. Also, I am not at the £60K threshold where you have to pay back all the child benefit, so again this amount has to be incorrect? Please could you clarify? Many thanks for your help.
Posted Mon, 04 Dec 2023 17:24:56 GMT by
Hi, I have just found the supporting guidance document for employment related shares (HS305), which states the following: "You only need to complete the 'Share schemes' box, box 1 on page Ai2 if your employer has not deducted tax from the whole taxable amount." and "You do not complete the 'Share schemes' box for taxable amounts which your employer has fully taxed." As my P60 includes the shares and my employer has deducted the tax, it doesn't look like I need to enter them in this additional field. Apologies, I should have checked HS305 before submitting my initial query. Many Thanks.
Posted Mon, 04 Dec 2023 18:29:26 GMT by
Hi I'm about to submit my self assessment 2022-2022 but I'm not sure where to show how much I received for child benefit. I cancelled my child benefit on December 2022 as noticed I will be over 50k to finish this financial year. I completed my self assessment but couldn't enter anywhere to enter how much received for 9 months of Child benefits. Don't want to submit yet please kindly advice. Thank you ahead
Posted Thu, 07 Dec 2023 09:53:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi SCM00001,
That is correct, just show on the employment section.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 08 Dec 2023 08:33:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi SCM00001,
We would need to view the calculation to check the figures.
If you submit your tax return and allow 3 working days to process to HMRC systems and the contact to review.
You can contact us here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you, 
Posted Fri, 08 Dec 2023 09:26:23 GMT by
Morning, I’m about to submit a self assessment as I have earnt over £60k. I have previously paid a % back over the last two years for claiming for my 4 daughters. Usually I am only asked to make one payment in January. This year, I am being asked to pay £3300 in January and then further £1800 in July. I don’t understand why I’m having to pay more than I have claimed and why two payments this year.
Posted Mon, 11 Dec 2023 15:18:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Sigita,

On page 2 of 3 on the tailor your tax return section there is a question-did you or your partner get Child Benefit payments. If you answer yes this will open the section to declare the child benefit received to calculate the child benefit charge due. 

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 12:17:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
The other payment will be a payment on account towards the follwing tax year.
Payments on account are due if the balance from your Self Assessment is over £1000 and you pay less than 80% tax at source.
Details on payments on account at:
Understand your Self Assessment tax bill
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 23:40:15 GMT by
Hi, I have completed a self assessment tax return but am confused about the amount I'm being asked to pay back. My income after tax and pensions is 53,190 and I understand that over 50,000 there is a charge of 1 per cent of the child benefit for each £100. I am being asked to pay £1022 which is almost the whole amount of child benefit given and seems incorrect. The child benefit tax calculator had a figure that seemed more in line with the stated charge. I'm not sure how to query this?
Posted Thu, 21 Dec 2023 08:30:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi jessica leeman,
As the balance is higher than higher Income Chid Benefit Charge we will need to access your record to review the calculation.
You can contact HMRC here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.