Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 03 Dec 2023 16:55:08 GMT by KY Wong
Hi, I am UK resident but not UK domiciled for tax year 22/23. I am claiming remittance basis as my foreign income was unremitted, so I won't be entitlied to personal allowance for income tax. I have full time employment in UK during tax year 22/23 and I have been paying income tax via PAYE. As the tax code on my payslip has assumed I have a a £12,570 personal allowance. After I have submitted the self assessment for tax year 22/23, how will HMRC contact me to collect the underpaid income tax? And what is the due date of those underpaid income tax? Regards, Kelvin
Posted Wed, 06 Dec 2023 13:45:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
As claiMing the remittance basis, you will be completing a self assessment tax return and the liability will be worked out and confirmed once you submit your return.
The due date for payment is 31/1/24 unless you owe less than £3000 and have opted for the charge to be collected in your tax code.
Posted Wed, 06 Dec 2023 15:21:43 GMT by KY Wong
Thanks for that. My liability will be less than £3,000, as I am basic rate payer, so additional tax is 20% * £12,570 = £2,514. How can I opt to get that collected by changing my tax code? As I am paying PAYE monthly. Thanks. Regards, 
Posted Thu, 07 Dec 2023 16:32:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi KY Wong,
As long as your  tax return is submitted by 30/12/23 and you do not tick the section 'if you have not paid enough tax' then this will happen automatically.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.