Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:51:21 GMT by KN
My neighbour asked me to help as bartender in his family-run restaurant over the weekend. After the work, he asked me to fill out my invoice issued to the restaurant in order to get me paid £200. This job is one off basis. Can it count towards £1000 trading allowance, or should I need to register for self-employed and pay VAT? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 05 Sep 2023 11:28:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You do not need to register for self assessment for this one off source of self employment. All you would need to do is write to HM Revenue and Customs BX9 1AS and declare the income, so that tax may be charged against.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2023 17:12:09 GMT by KN
Hi, The payment is £286 via bank transfer showing reference as 'invoice'. Should I need pay national insurance (over £242 a week) for this one-off income source? I have registered a personal tax account. Should I 'Add a missing employer', or 'Add missing income from another source' and select 'Part Time Earnings'? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:11:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi KN,
If already employed under PAYE then no.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.