Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2024 09:54:43 GMT by Robert Wilson
Hi everyone, I have just changed Jobs and my new appointment is permanently home based, I had to convert a spare room into a small office. Question is, how do I claim ( If I can) the extra gas and electricity that will be needed when I start? How will I calculated the extra during my new working day? which otherwise would not be used/on when I was at an external office. Many thanks in advance.
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 08:27:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Robert,
Please refer to the following Guidance - Claim tax relief for your job expenses.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 Sep 2024 11:23:45 GMT by Robert Wilson
Thank you for the reply, but I have seen and read the Guidance on your Website . What it doesn't tell me is how I give proof of my actual expenses. How can I show the actual amount that I spend on Gas and Electricity during my new working day as I only get one bill from my utility provider, I am to guess my uplift in gas and electricity for the working day???????? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 11:13:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 13 Response
Hi, It is up to you to find a way to calculate the amount spent on gas and electricity you use based in proportion to the work area and hours worked. If you cannot find a way to do this, then you cannot claim the expense. Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.