Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2024 19:36:33 GMT by Chrono73
Hi seeking some assistance please. I left employment and the UK at the end of August 2023 to pursue religious studies in Rome. I have one property which I placed on rent and have been receiving rental for via an agent since August 2023. I applied for a NRL exemption a few weeks ago and received a self assessment UTR number to fill a self-assessment out. I have no postal address in the UK so I have not received any more information. 1. Is this self-assessment for the tax year that just ended (23/24) as it says I have till January 2025 to submit? 2. I have not been making any profit on my monthly income recieved. I have been making a small loss. Will I still be expected to pay tax? 3. I don’t have a P60 for the tax year that ended as I in August. I was however issued with a P45. Will this suffice instead of the P60? 4. Is there anything else I need to be aware of or declare as an NRL?
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2024 13:58:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,
  1. Yes, it is for 2023 to 2024.  
  2. This depends on what information you show on the return as the rental income is taxable income and only certain expenses can be claimed so there may not be a loss.   
  3. Yes, it will.   
  4. You can see further guidance here: Tax on your UK income if you live abroad
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.